The Mission of First Baptist Church as a worshipping community is to develop fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ who are spiritually reproductive, engaged in ministry, fervent in prayer, and obedient to God's Word.
November 12, 2009 marks the 50th year of First Baptist Church of Lockport. Back in the 50's Marquette Manor Baptist Church of Chicago, (now of Downers Grove) came out to Dellwood Park every year to have their annual picnic.
So as a mission project, they bought the house at 1100 Highland Ave. is at the corner of McGregor St., just around the corner off Thornton Street. Through the years many souls have been led to the Lord through this mission project, and of course now we support missionaries around the world.
Our first pastor was Rev. Chris Christopolis who got the work under way.
While J.O. Purcell was going to Moody Bible Institute, he was our pulpit supply in those days when we needed one. Rev. Francis Tarrant was our second pastor. When he retired, the church called Rev. James Frisby, and we now have Rev. Gil Palmer as our pastor. The first three deacons were Chairman Mike Feryance, (deceased) Wayne Murrie (deceased) and Gene Becraft (deceased).